Updating your computer is unavoidable. Here we’re going to focus on Windows software; the guide for Mac users can be found here.
Why do You Need to Update?
Windows Update exists to help make it easy to keep Windows up to date with the latest patches, service packs, and other updates.
How to Change Windows Update Settings in Windows 10
- Tap or click on the Start button, followed by Settings. You’ll need to be on the Windows 10 Desktop to do this.
- From Settings, tap or click on Update & security.
- Choose Windows Update from the menu on the left, assuming it’s not already selected.
- Tap or click on the Advanced options link on the right, which will open a window headlined Choose how updates are installed.
- Select Automatic (recommended) from the drop-down, check Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows., and do not check the Defer upgrades option.
There is no official way to turn off automatic updating in Windows 10, nor is there a straightforward way to disable Windows Update altogether.
This blog is meant to provide a starting point to implementing cyber security practices within your company. Due to the rapid progression of technology this is an ongoing and ever-evolving subject!